We are on a wild ride now. Despite the quiet blog, work on the cabin has been pretty bold this month (except a work-vacation trip that ate up a bunch of the beginning of the month). We did something we don’t usually do – hired a contractor to help. After doing our research (when we learned that what we need to do is called “holding” the structure), we decided we should get some quotes on having someone ELSE level and jack up the cabin. We haven’t ever done this particular job before, and the vertical log construction isn’t well-documented. Plus, buying supplies and jacks for a one-time job started to look expensive.
We got a really good quote from a local guy who was solidly recommended at the respected local lumberyard. Everything he said jived with what we had independently found out, and he had some great ideas we hadn’t thought of. We feverishly (but carefully) pulled up flooring (we will re-use it) to make space, cleaned up the area, and got some debris and shrubs out of the staging area. Still, handing over that initial check (lots of overtime went into the funds for this!) made us squirm. Then they didn’t show up to start on the first day…a nervous phone call…they were on the way after gathering up supplies all morning and some family commitments (it’s a weekend after all).
Today was day 2, and progress looked really good. Got an un-solicited call with the contractor checking in, and asking us a few questions (about old pipes in the cellar, etc.). We are on a roll now…
Here are some before photos, and photos after day 2. We think the “before” photos speak for themselves. The one fallen corner of the cabin needs to be raised about 5″. And some of the old piers are a study in precariousness.
And after Day 2…it’s pretty amazing to see some actual construction at the house, rather than deconstruction and garbage removal. Exhilarating.