You can now flush

We knew the septic work was set to begin soon, but it started – and was just about completed! – on Friday. We were told that we could flush at this point! Alas, if only we had a toilet or sink installed. Soon enough.

A step forward

We finished the door projects, did the last rot repair (including epoxy), reinstalled a window, and today finally got to try out the caulking procedure. It took a bit to get it figured out in terms of tooling, but I think we’re there and we sped up toward the end. Results:

The old window, restored and installed. Someday we'll pick trim colors and paint it up. Primer for now.

The old window, restored and installed. Someday we’ll pick trim colors and paint it up. Primer for now.

Foam backer rod installed. That part went quickly.

Foam backer rod installed. That part went quickly.

Another look at backer rod.

Another look at backer rod.

Dinner break! We had to do an evening session today, so we brought a crock pot of pasta & veggies.

Dinner break! We had to do an evening session today, so we brought a crock pot of pasta & veggies.

After caulking: it came out OK, despite some initial frustration.

After caulking: it came out OK, despite some initial frustration.

Some sparkle

We are finally installing new things, not just tearing out old. What a great feeling! First, we visited our local cedar mill and got a pile of trim boards for the exterior. Clean, fresh wood milled to spec for totally reasonable prices. Bonus: the dog was just hopping up and down with joy (surprise?) at seeing lots of cows in the fields on the drive out. He’s always good for a laugh.

Second, we finally got the pesky doors installed. You know, the door that was not a door but rather a sidelight, that took a year of evening work in the basement to get ready to go and two hours on the phone with tech support to figure out? It’s in. And it’s just gorgeous. I pretty much cried when it swung shut perfectly.

The other door is one we happened on when wandering our favorite (local) building supply store. It looked so lonely in the corner, so we asked about it. And the discount was just too good to pass up. The salesman reminded us we’d have to hang it because there was no jamb – yeah, par for the course with us. And no problem, once we found a stash of un-used jamb stock and a mahogany sill at a local ReStore at a price that worked for us. We spent the day sorting out which cuts to make where, and getting it hung. No handleset yet – we have it, and it’s ready to go, but we were done for the day. For now, it’s ‘locked’ old-school, with a nailed-up 2×4. No big deal; if someone wants to break in, there’s a blue tarp for a window.

Rot week: the sequel

Whew! We are tired. We have been out there every day and are almost, ALMOST ready to start caulking and staining the logs. The goal of this whole summer run-up. We are so pooped that we set up this post the other day and then never finished writing it! So, expect another post shortly because – drum roll – we just finished installing both new doors.