One last weekday off (we are already back to our day jobs most of this week). However, we’re totally in the home stretch. Nearly the whole cabin has its exterior sealed up. If we had to, and if we didn’t have to wait for things to cure, we could easily get done in one more solid day. Today was the day that got us to that point! Our last shipment of (expletive) caulk arrived, and we picked it up at UPS on our way to the cabin this morning. One more wall to foam (backer rod) and caulk, and several walls were ready for either a first or second coat of stain. We’re a well-oiled machine now, so we divided and conquered and got going pretty quick.
I still have one more small set of logs to caulk – just under one window, and hour or two of work – and some more coats of stain will happen this weekend. Then a wait for this last wall to cure (>1 week is recommended for the caulk before staining), which will leave us with just this one last wall to stain after Labor Day. Sweet!
We did completely finish up with foam backer rod today (hooray!). We kept a tally of how many rolls we used in each size, so we can approximately duplicate it when we order more for inside. Wait – we have to do this whole procedure again, on the interior?! I quit (just kidding).
Also, on the topic of foam, our spray foam insulation rocks! When we got there today, the outside temperature was this:
And inside, it was actually 74 degrees (this photo taken after we had gone in and out a bunch, warming things up). We’ll take 13 degrees of free A/C!