Over the past week, we’ve putting putting part of our landscaping plan into action, beginning with the veggie garden out front. We are pretty sore and beat up after carrying a few tons of stone, mortar, gravel, and soil all over for a few days, but today we finished! The soil was delivered at 8:00 am and we finished and went for a much-needed swim at lunchtime. And then planted some seedlings that friends kindly gave us. Adding about 18″ of rock wall is a big job, and we’ve now got the sore arms and backs to prove it. Plus scrapes and bruises – so many scrapes and bruises! The garden was loosely based on a keyhole garden design, but larger and we skipped the composting part – which is really what makes it a keyhole – but there are too many foxes, groundhogs, etc. around to be composting in the front yard. However, it was great inspiration for the overall style.
It is called, I cannot control myself at plant sales once the nice weather hits. I am supposed to be waiting to finish up the landscaping plan, but alas, who can resist the super-awesome master gardeners who sell things they dug from their yard for $1? Or the good local farm that sells plants to benefit community sustainability? Here are some of the manifestations of my problem so far:
In clearing an area for a secret special project (more soon), we also had some soil to get rid of, so I revamped another pocket garden in the back yard – off to get some herbs tomorrow to fill it out.
We not only finished up the railing–installing the bell we rescued from this cabin, sandblasted, and repainted–but also finished the side stairs off the porch today. We took a page from our last house, and riffed off a Greene and Greene style set of steps we loved in a bungalow book, and made using square risers at the old house. I cannot find a photo of the originals, but they are somewhere in Pasadena! The stairs are a perfectly simple design, no stringers, and you have to use beefy lumber. Here we used logs, but of course! Our stairs were absolutely free except for a few screws, since we used short log scraps and hemlock scraps from previous projects. We love a cost-effective, custom project! A lot of site work, gravel hauling, etc. has occurred prior to today, making this all possible. As a bonus, we originally planned and mocked up 3 steps but ultimately only needed 2, so the extra top step was fashioned into an awesome plant bench on the porch, housing my collection of mid-century pots.