This weekend was the holiday of Sukkot, the festival of huts. One that we’ve not really celebrated before, but it happened (out of pure coincidence) this year. It was a holiday weekend, and basically the first weekend since summer that we’ve been able to take off from work. So we packed up our little camper and went to camp. I know – seems silly to stay in a camper at camp, but (1) we love our camper too! And have not used it enough this year, and (2) one plan for the weekend was to have the cabin doors and windows removed, potentially for a number of days, and we can’t have the dog off-leash in the house without doors. He is far too interested in finding the magical wonderland of chipmunks than sticking around while we are asleep. So we hauled one hut to the other hut, and had ourselves a time.
Love our ’65 Scotty! And it looks great from the porch of the cabin.
Troublemaker, in bed in the camper. After a long day of chipmunk-stalking.
It was tough to get a good photo at night, but the cabin looked totally cool from down below, all lit up. It looked like a western mountain-cabin out on the range, or something.
Night view up the hill at the cabin
There was work to be done, though. Job 1: replace the large front ‘picture’ window with the newer (yet still old) Andersen picture window we picked up over the summer. Although we love the old barn sashes, and some of the ones in the cabin are really well-made, these were marginally functional. Two never opened, and the one that did opens way out onto the porch – a bit of a hazard. We also wanted to shorten the span here, so the newer window allowed us to add two logs to the front wall and sturdy it up.
Before: bank of three windows (two nailed shut, one operable)
Window cut out. Yikes – that’s a gaping hole!
Cutting our house open again. The view is great this time of year! Window is out, header supported while we engineered some new logs to fill in.
The new window fit amazingly well, with some logs barely needing any work to fit along the sides. However, the window’s fancy trim really didn’t go with the rest of the cabin, so we cut part of it off to make the frame more coherent with neighboring windows/doors.
And here she is! The two side windows open, and the center one is fixed. Even better, this baby has screens AND integrated interior storm windows! A good solution all around.
We will repair some glazing and re-paint in the spring, but everything works!
We didn’t only do the window, we also removed both doors and spent the weekend painting the jambs our sassy green trim color. The doors are now 100% done, and look very polished.
I also tried out the interior caulking. We are again using Conceal, but now in a lighter brown (we want the interior to read as light and bright as possible). Weren’t sure about it at first, but it dried to a a nice color. Onward – only about 250 caulk lines to go!
And we walked a lot. There are many, many other cabins of ours’ vintage around the lake. This village was founded as a ‘planned community’ of sorts, and all of the other historic cabins are in various states of repair. This one is on the “disrepair” end of the spectrum, but is really cute all the same. Hopefully someone will fix it up if salvageable.